Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Tunes that got me listening to Jazz #1 Oscar Peterson, Hymn to Freedom

I stumbled upon this recording the other day and it got me thinking about the tunes that got me listening to this great form of music. I remember hearing this tune for the first time like it was yesterday. A GCSE music class in school. Out of nowhere the new music teacher gets out the LP and plays this tune. Coming from a fairly strict school that basically studied all things classical, this was quite a shock. Not only that, at that time my only real introduction to Jazz was hearing the school Dixieland band perform, so this was my introduction to something completely new.



I liked this piece so much I had to have have it. It took me quite some time. Without internet I had to scour the cassettes in the local shop until I found it on a compilation called 'Jazz on a summer's day'. Many other tunes became favorites on that album but this one always stood out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHv1tcv_DoM

No comments: