Sunday, June 05, 2016

Caustic 3 - First impressions

Sometimes you don't just buy music making tools for work. Some simply fall into the category of pure fun. Caustic is in the latter.

I don't think I've had more fun with a music software since the early days of Reason, but this is different. You can do everything on your phone!

I don't have an expensive phone, but within minutes of installing this software I was making and editing music as if it was on my laptop. I couldn't believe it.

Like Reason, it is inspired by rack mounted synthesizers and it even has a similar feel. What surprised me though was how much depth such a small application had. The kind of sounds you can create are virtually limitless and the pattern and matrix editors are as easy to use as FL studio or any other.

This type of music tool is definitely more geared towards electronic music, but I had a quick look at some of the acoustic instruments and they sound amazingly good. On Google play there are hundreds of demos and presets you can download for free to get you going even further.

A must have for any music enthusiast and for the price of a pint of beer, you can't go wrong.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.singlecellsoftware.caustic&hl=en_GB

No comments: